Jetzt registrieren!

Autor
Suche nach:
Nachricht

Hall of Fame

Beitrag Verfasst: So 24. Jul 2011, 21:31 

Für diesen Beitrag von Terrorist Mastermind gab es eine Danksagung:
Salty (Mo 25. Jul 2011, 10:10)

Könnte von Verneer sein, aber ihc bin mir da nicht ganz sicher und der ANme wird auch nciht veröffentlicht... Denke der Ansatz ist für Viele sehr gut

Ist aus dem Bluff Magazine aus der Mai 2011 Ausgabe.

Link: http://www.bluffmagazine.com/magazine/A ... f-2301.htm

Zitat:

For the second year in a row, I withdrew all but a small sum from my Full Tilt Poker account on New Year’s Day with the intention of grinding that sum back up to a sizable five-figure roll. I have a few reasons for doing this, but the main one is to show people that it can still be done as long as you have a good plan and stick with it. It also gives me insight into the changing landscape of today’s micro and small stakes games.

This year, I started with $200 and a mission to turn that into more than $10,000. I planned to start at the $10 No Limit full ring (FR) Rush Poker tables and move up or down as my bankroll fluctuated.

I knew that to accomplish this, I would have to have a winning strategy both at and away from the tables. In this article, I’ll include some of both but focus on the away-from-the-tables variety.

Some background: Most of my volume toward the end of 2010 was at the $100 NL and $200 NL FR Rush Poker tables. My win rate there was around 2.5 pt BB/100 over 300K hands or so. For reference, with rakeback, this comes out to around $65/hr at $100 NL and over $120/hr at $200 NL.

Starting out at $10 NL: This started out very well; in less than 8,000 hands, I was up 10 buy-ins and cruising right along. Then something unexpected happened. I started losing at a precipitous rate and didn’t stop until all my profit was wiped out and then some. Losing the 10 buy-ins took me less than a third of the time that it took me to win them. No surprise there; it’s a lot easier to lose money quickly than to win it. I needed answers to the universal question: “Why am I losing and how do I stop?”

Through my work as a CardRunners pro, I help a lot struggling players review their games. Basically, my job is to answer ”the question” for them. I have a few initial metrics that I use to begin formulating the answer; I’ll list them in the order that I check and include my own thoughts on my $10NL downswing.

Are you simply unlucky? This one is pretty easy to check superficially but much tougher to really evaluate. To get a quick check of this, compare your “all in EV” results in Hold’em Manager with your actual results. The discrepancy between the two is essentially luck. According to this metric (as illustrated by the orange line), I was actually running ABOVE expectation during this stretch (i.e. I was more lucky than unlucky) and should have been down $20 instead of being back to even.

This doesn't always tell the full story, though. For example, let's say that you are playing with a hyper-loose and generally donkish player. At the full ring tables, this guy is playing 80 percent of his hands and routinely calling down with bottom pair on multiple streets. You raise 7-7 from MP, and it's folded around to said villain. He calls, and the flop comes a euphoric 7c-5s-Jd. He checks, we bet close to pot, and he calls. The turn is the Qc. He checks once again, we bet fairly big once again, and he calls. The river is the 2d, and he goes all in. We snap call and see him flip over Js-Jc to scoop the pot and leave us questioning the existence of a benevolent god.

This clearly unlucky result will not reflect in your “all in EV” since you got your money in with no equity. This leads us to check our second metric:

Are you misplaying big pots? Any time I’ve had a large downswing, I’ve lost a lot of big (150+ BB) pots. It’s important to be able to classify each of these as bad play (“could/should have gotten away from it sooner”) or bad luck (“cooler or bad beat”). This is an area in which having access to an experienced winning poker player is invaluable. They will be able to judge your losses as “bad luck” or “bad play” more clearly than you can. In my experience, losing players often attribute a lot of their losses to bad luck in situations where a better player would attribute it to bad play.

Thus, my next step was to examine my big pots. There were a total of eight, and upon closer analysis, I clearly overplayed my hand in four, got unlucky in one, and ran into K-K with my Q-Q, A-K three times when faced with a squeeze. Were those last three coolers?

Those three illustrated a situation in which a fold is, at most, a small mistake which costs you the three initial BB’s you opened to, whereas getting it all in could be a big mistake which costs you a stack. The bigger the potential pot, the less valid “This is such a good squeeze spot for him and I think I have the best hand” is as a reason for continuing with the hand.

So, seven out of eight of my big losers should have or could have been folds. This was one of the first important lessons: You need overwhelming evidence to play J-J, Q-Q, and A-K for stacks preflop at the micro FR tables. Overall, the net effect on big pots only put me down four buy-ins, so I had to find where the other six went. This brought up the third metric for analyzing a losing stretch:

Do you have subtle leaks that others are taking advantage of? This is the toughest one to identify and often the reason that people hire coaches and post their stats to different forums for analysis. These leaks are in pots where you lose 15 to 35 BBs, and they don’t initially stand out but add up over time.

The biggest of these types of leaks that I see at the micros are players calling too many three-bets without proper odds, not folding enough to post flop aggression from good players, bluffing too much without precise reads, and simply playing Level 1 poker (defined as being fixated on how your two hole cards match up with the board, or absolute hand strength,and not thinking enough about the equity your hand has in the specific situation versus a villain’s complete range, or relative hand strength).

Personally, after looking at my 15 to 35 BB losers, I found that people were not giving my continuation bets much respect and would often peel me with ace-high or better. Secondly, I found myself bluff-catching too much on turns/rivers and running into random hands which were better than mine. This was a difference between the $200 NL games and the $10 NL ones, and it forced me to c-bet much tighter and to look people up light much less frequently. Once I made those adjustments, my graph reversed.

So, if you find yourself in a downswing, examine your play using the three suggestions I listed above in that order. By the time you are done, you should have some direction for moving forward.

To finish up, I want to offer some perspective. Since the writing of this article, I’ve played over 205K hands at $10 NL – $100 NL. I’ve highlighted the downswing below by the letter A:

For the most part, I’ve had a fairly smooth ride through $25 NL and $50NL, but once I hit $100 NL, I experienced a slap-in-the-face $1,100 downswing— or a quarter of my roll. I once again had to answer the question: “Why am I losing and how do I stop?” I also had to make decisions about moving back down, and if so, when. Dealing with an unsuccessful shot at a higher limit is a discussion for another day, though.

DerIkeaElch hat geschrieben:
War halt ein Fisch und ich wollte ihn bei Laune halten... :roll: :oops:

[x] Trifecta

Beitrag Verfasst: Mo 25. Jul 2011, 01:09 

Erst einmal thx für das sharen des Link`s.

Cliff note:

--> 100nl/200nl winning player beginnt von neuem mit einer 200$ roll in den micros und analysiert seine "Downswings".

Was mich ein bisschen stört ist, dass er nach einem Verlust von 10 bi`s von einem downswing spricht. Hört sich vielmehr nach 0815 Varianz an.

Find tbh auch nicht, dass dort irgend etwas drin steht, was man nicht schon wo anders gelesen/gehört oder selber die Erfahrung damit gemacht hat :O

Hall of Fame

Beitrag Verfasst: Mo 25. Jul 2011, 02:45 

YAY! Jemand der liest/antwortet!

Mir gehts weniger um das Beispiel/die Zahlen (man kann ja auc überlal ne 0 anhängen an die Bis...). es geht mir eher darum, dass ich hier im Moment immer wieder von Leuten lese, die einen DS haben und die kommen mir meist irgendwie hilflos vor. Fand die Fragen sehr wichtig. Bei denen kann einem auch ein anderer Spieler beim beantworten helfen...

“Why am I losing and how do I stop?”

- Are you simply unlucky?
- Are you misplaying big pots?
- Do you have subtle leaks that others are taking advantage of?

The biggest of these types of leaks that I see at the micros are players calling too many three-bets without proper odds, not folding enough to post flop aggression from good players, bluffing too much without precise reads, and simply playing Level 1 poker (defined as being fixated on how your two hole cards match up with the board, or absolute hand strength,and not thinking enough about the equity your hand has in the specific situation versus a villain’s complete range, or relative hand strength).

DerIkeaElch hat geschrieben:
War halt ein Fisch und ich wollte ihn bei Laune halten... :roll: :oops:

American Airlines

Beitrag Verfasst: Mo 25. Jul 2011, 06:05 

Hab den Artikel zwar noch nicht gelesen (bin ATM zu müde) aber Raise4Value's Cliff note =P

Raise4Value14 hat geschrieben:

Was mich ein bisschen stört ist, dass er nach einem Verlust von 10 bi`s von einem downswing spricht. Hört sich vielmehr nach 0815 Varianz an.

Ich sprech bei 2-4 bi's von nem donwswing ... hatt nie mehr :shock: :D 8)

Bot

Beitrag Verfasst: Mo 25. Jul 2011, 06:50 

Für diesen Beitrag von Salty gab es eine Danksagung:
Terrorist Mastermind (Mo 25. Jul 2011, 06:51)

Jo, würde gut zu Verneers Graph in seiner Micro Serie anfang des Jahres passen. Da ist er auch erst gut up und Crashed dann und spricht in seinem Video von Adjustments die in den Micros nötig sind um zu gewinnen.

Man hat es zwar hier und da schonmal gelesen was er da sagt aber das spannende ist das es nach wie vor Gültigkeit hat, da er das Anfang des Jahres gemacht hat.

Gestern erst wieder einen big Pot falsch gespielt. Und das mit den c-bets denke ich auch. Ich liege bei über 70% und ich hatte schon selber das Gefühl das er beschreibt das es einfach zu oft gepeeled wird mit 3.rd Pair und man verliert sehr viele kleine Pots die man einfach schon am Flop hätte aufgeben können.

Schöner Artikel für uns Micros hier.

Hall of Fame

Beitrag Verfasst: Mo 25. Jul 2011, 11:24 

Terrorist Mastermind hat geschrieben:
es geht mir eher darum, dass ich hier im Moment immer wieder von Leuten lese, die einen DS haben und die kommen mir meist irgendwie hilflos vor..

Für die ist er auch ideal. Leider habe ich mich da mitunter auch erkannt....wobei was es mich betrifft würde ich mal unterscheiden zwischen dem, was man im ersten Frust sagt und dem, was man dann genau analysiert nachher. Da gehe ich ähnlich ran und denke auch, das ist der beste Weg. Nur den Frust postet man und die Analyse dann nicht mehr, denke ich.

strukk hat geschrieben:
Call-3bet find ich recht gut eigentlich.. um zu sehen ob villain 3bets called

Nut-Flush

Beitrag Verfasst: Mi 17. Aug 2011, 16:25 

Finde den Artikel gut. Gerade der Punkt sich nicht nur seine dicken Verlust-Hände anzugucken sondern auch die kleineren. Ich selbst habe bei einer Session nachlese meist nach Verlust von groß nach klein sortiert und mich um die dicken pötte gekümmert.

Thanx 4 sharing.

Beitrag Verfasst: Fr 19. Aug 2011, 20:37 

toller beitrag, thx uneed

Gehe zu: